Maria Sharapova Win WTA Finals

Maria Sharapova battled her way through to the semi-finals of the WTA Finals in Singapore with a straight-sets win that conveyed a conclusion to the vocation of the US Open champion Flavia Pennetta.

The third seed edged a tight opening set against the Italian, who had already declared this would be her last year on the ladies' visit, before fleeing with the second to seal a 7-5, 6-1 triumph.


"I've lost the last couple of times against Flavia. I comprehend what an extreme contender and adversary she is. I simply needed to get a smidgen of vengeance before she goes out of the diversion!" Sharapova told wtatennis.com.

"She's had a mind blowing vocation and I was so cheerful she got the stupendous hammer at the US Open. I was grinning for her."

Sharapova's two-set win was additionally the outcome required by Agnieszka Radwanska to progress to the last four in Singapore, the fifth seed having finished the title any expectations of the top seed, Simona Halep, prior on Thursday.

Poland's Radwanska had lost both of her opening matches in the round-robin arrange yet pulled off a 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 triumph over the world No2, including toppling a 5-1 shortfall in the tie-break, to return herself in the running for a semi-last spot.

Her movement then depended singularly on Sharapova's outcome and the Russian thought of the products to guarantee they both advanced to the following round.

"That tie-break was something else and I just figured out how to make some extraordinary focuses at imperative minutes," Radwanska said. "It's extremely decent to hear individuals say my tennis is diverting, so I trust I can continue listening to individuals say that again and again."

Thursday 29 October 2015 22.01 GMT